Well, you guys, I've officially survived living on my own for more than a month! I haven't really documented too much, so I will now do so. I've come up with a list, so in no particular order, I'll give you the 411 (does anyone say that anymore?).
let's talk about the weather. Oh, this beautiful weather! It's almost always super cloudy, and it's been so much nicer here than in Mesa! I love the clouds, I love the rain, I just love everything about this weather. Okay, except the mosquitoes that come out in full force right after the rain. Not very fun. Nevertheless, my rain boots have been getting a good amount of use here! And Mount Graham? Lovely. It's breathtaking when covered in clouds. Oh, my.
Ugh these clouds are perfect
Is this not PERFECT? Gosh, I love Arizona.
I am a fan of big, puffy clouds like this one. Cloud for president.
What use are puddles if nobody splashes in them?
About three weeks after moving in, I hit a wall of sorts. I felt completely alone, and friendless. It was a really lame slump to be in, and I couldn't seem to figure out what was going on. Then I read this article that my bishop shared on Facebook, and I realized what was wrong: I was staying in my apartment all alone, all the time. I wasn't making an effort to make friends! I was unhappy because I wasn't putting myself into situations that would make me happier. Missing my family was a big part of it, too. I never really realized just how much I loved those crazies until I moved out. Guys, your families are AWESOME. Hug them often and remind them how much you love them even more often. Eventually, I started becoming more social again, which leads me to my next bullet point:
I'm finally making friends! Just by putting myself out there more, speaking up in class, and generally looking/feeling more confident, I'm slowly but surely becoming the social butterfly I used to be. I've met some really, really wonderful people here in good ol' Thatcher, and I'm finally feeling like myself. So if you live in Thatcher and you're reading this, there's a good chance I'm talking about you. ;^)
Alright, kids. Let's talk about cleaning. Before moving out, I HATED cleaning. HATED it. Basically, unless it was the bathroom (which for some reason I love to clean), I did not enjoy a second of it. But now I actually really enjoy it! Maybe it's because I want my little house to be as nice as possible for all potential guests, but there's just something immensely satisfying about having a clean house.
I've also discovered how nice it is to cook! I was never really big on making food, instead being perfectly happy to let my mom take over (I know I'm terrible and selfish and whatnot, but what else was I supposed to do?), but now I love making my own food- and I've been getting creative, which is always an adventure. For example, spaghetti waffles. I'll tell you later. But wow! This is so fun! I've also really been enjoying making food for other people, because cooking for one gets boring. :P
Tuna melts. Also, that is not mayonnaise. It's Greek yogurt, thankyouverymuch.
Chicken Alfredo!
Also. Laundromats. They aren't all that bad, I guess, I just don't love dragging my laundry basket around the corner. I'm really afraid one of my bras will fly out or something, so laundry day is always a bit of a scary ordeal. But I get clean clothes and some exercise, so it's not all bad.
I got a big kid calling! I'm now a Gospel Doctrine teacher, and it's exciting and scary all at the same time. I feel so inadequate when it comes to teaching, but I know that it's what I'm supposed to do at this point in time, and I'll be okay. It's just a bit overwhelming right now and I'm very critical of myself. :^)
Each Sunday evening, a bunch of us single adults make our way to the local retirement home to sing hymns to the residents, and that has become the best part of my week! Seeing their faces light up and hearing them sing along makes me so happy. I love visiting them. I'm so glad I'm part of a community that wants to reach out in any way possible, especially in a way that's as personal as music. What a blessing.
Even though I've hit some lows since I've been here, I've been ridiculously happy here in this beautiful town. I wake up every day smiling! Just kidding. I wake up every day after hitting the snooze button approximately 57 times, and even then I have to practically tape my eyes open. But about three hours later, I'm good. I'm happy, and it stays that way for pretty much the rest of the day. I don't even know why I've been so happy lately! It's just that life seems to be going perfectly right now, and I feel so free. It's a good feeling. I want everyone to feel like that!
Shameless selfie, because I am cute.
Two weeks ago, I surprised my family by visiting for the weekend. Best. Idea. Ever. I wish I could have recorded their reactions! It was, quite simply, the bomb. I wish I could go back and relive those moments! It was weird being back at the house though... I didn't feel like I fit there anymore! I kept forgetting where things were, and I felt guilty for eating my family's food. Is that not the weirdest thing ever?! Totally bizarre. But it was so awesome to see them, and to see my dog again! Oh, don't get me started on how much I miss my dog. I just miss dogs in general since there are, like, three in the Gila Valley. It's disheartening, really. But I digress. My family is supa dope.
In love with this kid. In love.
I ADORE THIS DOG
I never really enjoyed group chats until I started one with my childhood (heck, adulthood too) besties, Nikki and Kaitlyn. I love those girls so much and I don't know what I would do without them. I'm so glad we started talking again. I needed them more than I knew. Kisses, you two sexy babes! :^)
Let's talk about my bike for a second. That thing is my love. She gets me from A to B in no time, and let's face it. She is one fabulous shade of blue. I've been having some issues with thorns in the tires recently, but I was able to get it fixed with some bike slime, a good pump, and a cute boy who knew what he was doing. :^)
I got a job as a 2nd grade teacher's aid! It's the most perfect job, and I get to spend my morning with a bunch of adorable kids, so what's not to love? I even had two little girls come up to me during a football game this weekend to say hi, and one of them said she remembered me because of my pretty pink rain boots. Reputation- secured. I am now the awesome TA with totally legit shoes. Scooooore.
I miss dogs. A lot. And babies. The baby hunger is so real, you guys. So real.
I went to the temple this Saturday, and oh, my. It was bliss. I love the temple, and I've finally figured out how to start attending regularly... But it's going to be closed for the next two weeks. Oops. But as soon as it re-opens, I will be there as often as I can. I love being there! It's like going home for a little bit, and I get the satisfaction of knowing I am helping others, so really, what's not to love?
Isn't this beautiful? Love me some temples.
The stars up here are so GORGEOUS! I've never seen so many before. I want to stargaze all the time now.
With the recent rainfall we've received, it unleashed this hidden supply of some of the largest bugs I have ever SEEN. My lanta. I mean, there are a ton of huge black beetles all over the place all the time, and the occasional cricket, but I swear we are having another plague or something, because there are SO MANY GRASSHOPPERS AND CRICKETS NOW. And they. Are. Humongous. There are these horrifyingly fascinating black, green, yellow, and red grasshoppers that are bigger than my middle finger, in addition to less colorful, massive hoppers. And crickets. Normally, I'm not opposed to the occasional cricket, but these ones are disgusting. Pure black and huge. I call them Satan-crickets, because they look like little demons. And the worst part is they really seem to enjoy my mouth. I am not even going to go into how many times a six-legged little pal has found its way into the warm confines of my mouth, because I would bore you to death, and this blog post is long enough already. But just trust me when I say that I am ready for bug season to be over.
Well, I could bore you with more details about my life, but I think that's enough word vomit for one day, yes? Catch you later, peeps!