It's a representation of me in the single's ward, can't you tell? I can just pick and choose whoever I want! (never mind that I can't actually date James McAvoy, nor can I marry the Bollywood actor my hand is reaching for.)
Originally, this post was going to be about Growing Up and being in the strange limbo stage where I'm just barely out of high school and yet I'm now considered to be "on the market".
Not that I'm planning on getting married soon, but a girl can dream, right?
Originally, this post was going to be a lot of things- the perfect blend of serious and funny. But I just couldn't focus long enough to finish it! And so it has sat in my draft folder for two weeks, silently reminding me that I need to get my crap together and just WRITE.
In the end, what got me writing this post was the fact that I discovered I recently acquired a new follower (hi, Haley!), and how the heck am I supposed to acquire more followers and become a famous blogger if I NEVER POST?! So without further ado, I present:
Reasons why I frickin' love my single's ward.
- Well, for starters, my bishop is AWESOME. He cracks me up, and has made sure I've felt welcomed into the ward- which is huge. I hate being ignored, so having someone make sure he remembers my name and some basic facts about me is huge. Thanks, bro. (or is it bish? No, that sounds bad. We'll stick with bro.)
- Relief society. In one of my previous posts, I wrote about how excited I was to begin relief society, and honestly, this ward has a wonderful program. Maybe it's because we're all more or less in the same stage of life, none of us have to run out of the room quietly because our baby suddenly decided to unleash a tidal wave of spit-up, or maybe it's because we're all really young. Either way, I just feel like I'm in Young Women's 2.0, which is a preetty good way to begin relief society.
- I have the mornings to myself. My ward starts at 1:00, and my family's ward begins at 8:30, so I get to have the house to myself for a few hours each Sunday, which is nice. I have time to just enjoy the quiet house, and can prepare for the meeting without having to yell at someone because they're taking too long in the bathroom and I need my toothbrush, or whatever else. I've also found myself singing hymns around the house while I get ready/veg in my pj's because I don't want to get dressed yet, and I like that. I don't really like doing that in front of everyone, so having my own private concert is nice. ;^)
- Since we are all so young, I feel like there is wayyy less judgement from my peers. I think we all have a silent, mutual understanding that these years are weird, and wonderful, and experimental, and we respect that. I feel like nobody is competing to show off how perfect their life is, or how cute their dress is, or how adorable their children are. We just... Are who we are. We wear what we want (within reason), we say what we want, and we don't worry what anybody else thinks. We're NOT perfect, and we're not trying to convince people we are. I've never seen so many different hair colors in church before- purple, pink, and blue, namely- and you know what? It doesn't matter. They are who they are and if pink hair expresses that, more power to them. I just think that in a family ward, the people who look different than your average, cookie-cutter churchgoing person are silently looked down upon, and separated into a category known as Those Mormons. You know, the ones who just don't really fit the mold? But here, it doesn't matter. We take you as you are, because we're all young, and still learning. And you know what? Being different is AWESOME. I like not feeling like I haves droves of people to impress with my righteousness. I like knowing that I, along with my peers, am still learning how to get closer to my Savior. I'm not perfect. Neither are they. But together, we're all connected in our beliefs. And looks don't matter, after all. It's what's inside that counts. (can I get some props for totally sounding like a fortune cookie right there?)
- I LOVE the activities! They're so fun, and I love getting to know these people.
- Okay, fine. Yes, it's nice to have so many good-looking boys in my ward. Yes, it's wonderful and refreshing to have nothing but dateable young men in my ward. Yes, heavens yes, it is nice to have young men in the ward who know how to fit their suits.... Also, I didn't know this before, but really awesome socks are a huge turn on. Does your ensemble have lackluster socks? Sorry, sweetie. Not happening. Give me the socks that straddle the line between whimsical and practical. (a weird attraction to have, no?)
I guess what I'm trying to say here is... The single's ward is wonderful! It's not a scary cult that forces you to marry. It is a gathering place where young adults come to get closer to their Savior. I'm so glad I decided to make the change. I have not regretted it once.
Man, I'm going to miss this ward when I go to college.
~Haeley