02 03 The Rhineheart Roost: We moved! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

We moved!

34
Oh my goodness, friends, I have missed you. 

Unless you are completely disconnected from all my other forms of social media, then it might surprise you to learn that as of October 16, 2015, Tanner and I are independent adults with our own apartment!
And up until a week ago, we had no internet- ie, no way to blog. :^( and that's so sad, because I've wanted so badly to keep you all updated on what's been going on lately. So without further ado, I will now word vomit all over this page. Be prepared for multiple posts.

If I've learned anything through the exhausting process that is apartment hunting, it is the importance of trusting in the Lord and being patient with His plan for you. There were so many nights that I just cried and cried because I felt like nothing was ever going to come of my efforts to move us, and we wouldn't be able to move out and learn how to be our own little family. But eventually I came to the realization that this issue was bigger than me, and I needed to put my trust in the Lord. And so I started praying for guidance, and things began to click.

One weekend while we were in Mesa looking at apartments, I was talking to my mom when she suggested I reach out to one of my friends who had lived in a nice complex with her husband when they were first married. I hadn't thought of that, so I shot her a text right away. She responded quickly and gave me a bunch of options they had looked at, in addition to the apartment they eventually decided on. I logged on to the websites, and found that only one of the complexes had any vacancies- the same apartment complex my friend and her husband lived in! Luckily, I had been to their apartment numerous times, so I knew what it looked like and what it offered.

So, like any highly impulsive person would do, I sent an inquiry before talking to Tanner about it. I had been trying so hard to find us something, and this just felt so right, that I couldn't wait. And I didn't.

The staff responded quickly, and we sent in an application even quicker. Things were finally happening! We would get this apartment, I was sure of it. 

Our application passed, and we were then ready for the next steps- placing a holding deposit, which we sent in post haste. The leasing agent called us a few days later and informed us that they could hold the apartment for about a week, in which time we had to find jobs in the city, or we wouldn't be approved to move in. Turns out you need to be gainfully employed before moving in somewhere- who knew? 

We figured it wouldn't be a problem. We'd been filling out job applications like it was, well, our job. We had to hear back from someone soon! I set up an account on Care.com in order to apply for nannying positions. I got a few requests, and set up some interviews. Things were falling into place! 

Or so it seemed. 

On our way home from another weekend in Mesa, after some interviews, I found out that neither of us were hired for any of the positions we applied for. To make matters worse, the leasing office called us and informed us that our week was up, and unless we had proof of employment right then, our only hope of getting into the apartment would be to find a cosigner. We had three days.

We contacted our family, to no avail. Nobody could afford the risk that came with being a cosigner, and frankly, I didn't blame them one bit. I didn't want a cosigner anyway, yet I still felt disappointed. Everything seemed so promising! Why couldn't one thing work out for us? Just one?
I tried not to let it bother me, but when we had to call the complex and let them know that we couldn't lease from them, I was shattered. I had tried so hard! I just wanted to find a home for me, my sweet husband, and our pets.

That Sunday, a fast Sunday, we were sitting in the foyer of the church building, discussing what our next course of action would be. One of the ladies in Relief Society walked by, and stopped to ask if I had put my information in the Relief Society directory. I answered that no, I hadn't, and we were in fact planning to move soon. Her face lit up, and she asked if we had found a place to live yet. We said we were still looking, and she wrote down her phone number and gave it to me. She had just decided to rent out her little house in Mesa, and hadn't quite figured out all the logistics, but told us to contact her and we would figure it out.
This seemed like an answer to our prayers! Not only would we get a place to live, we could potentially live in a HOUSE, rather than an apartment! We daydreamed about all the possibilities ahead of us, and excitedly told our family about the prospect of starting our lives together in a house. 

The next morning, we found out that both of us got the jobs we had applied for, and it didn't seem like life could get any better. Then we called the lady we could possibly rent from, and found out that rent there was far out of our price range. 

I felt completely deflated. Was Mesa simply not in the cards for us? Were we supposed to stay in Cottonwood, a town that had next to no opportunities for newlyweds? 

As I sat upstairs, trying not to completely lose it, Tanner came in. 

"We should call the apartment complex again. They probably still have the slot open for us, and we can move in next week."

"I doubt it. I checked the website this morning, and the earliest availability is in late November. We can't wait that long, we should just give up."

"Well, let me at least check. Give me their phone number and I'll call." I reluctantly gave him the number to the apartments, and he called.

When he hung up, he informed me that we had called just in time! There was a slot still open, and they could even reapply our holding deposit! We finally, finally set a moving date and we began preparations.

We moved on October 16th, and life has been so wonderful. Sure, we've had ups and downs, and we're still figuring out this whole "responsibility" thing, but being married has become even more enjoyable now that we can focus exclusively on each other. I don't mean to say that living with my in-laws was detrimental to our marriage, but it was difficult at times to try to adjust to being married while at the same time adjusting to a new side of the family. It's so nice to be able to watch our apartment progress from rooms full of boxes to our first home. 
Saturday mornings have become my favorite part of the week, as Tanner and I get to spend time with just each other, waking up late, snuggling our dog, and making breakfast, and staying in our underwear for as long as we please. ;^)

I truly cannot believe how blessed we are. I read a quote while we were in the thick of apartment hunting, that read: "If a door closes, open it back up. It's a door. That's how they work." That's what kept me going through all the rejection, and disappointment. I've learned to rely more heavily on the Lord, but I've also learned that sometimes it's okay to be stubborn. I am so lucky to be living this crazy life alongside my best friend. It's messy, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

~Haeley

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38