02 03 The Rhineheart Roost: Things that are difficult. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Things that are difficult.

34
After being here for over two months, I feel like I have settled into a routine of sorts. And for the majority of the time, I am very happy. I've told you guys this dozens of times, in fact. I love Thatcher! I love my bike! I love my ward! Happy, happy, happy!

But in all honesty, it's not all sunshine and daisies and freakishly huge grasshoppers. There are struggles. There are issues. And what kind of person would I be if I didn't tell you all about them? So here goes.

Coming home is hard. I was able to attend my little brother's baptism over the weekend, and it was a weird experience. Having only visited twice since moving, I'm definitely not used to the changed dynamic of my Mesa home. For one thing, I keep forgetting where everything is, and I feel guilty every time I eat their food. Is that not bizarre? I suppose since I have to buy everything now, I feel the loss of even a few crackers.

For another, I have to learn how to manage my time. Since I'm not readily available in Mesa, I am now a hot commodity, it seems. All of my siblings want to spend one-on-one time with me RIGHT NOW, and my parents want to spend time with me RIGHT NOW, and my friends want to see me RIGHT NOW, and I want to be with them all individually RIGHT NOW, but that is impossible. And so I have to figure out how to divide my time between everyone, and that is easier said than done. It's so hard when everyone you love wants to be with you, because you want to reciprocate that and spend as much time as humanly possible with them, but the fact of the matter is, there are other loved ones who want to see you just as badly as all the rest. So I was stretched very thin over the course of those few days, and even though it was a wonderful time, I was emotionally exhausted by the end of the weekend and ready to be back in my tiny apartment with my crazy roommates. I'm not as in demand back there, so it's easier. I can only hope that winter break helps solve those problems, as I will be in town much longer.

Those things aside, I want to get to the heart of the matter. The true reason for writing this post, which is.... Food. Did you expect anything less from me? Specifically, Asian food. I am going through major withdrawals.

It's funny, because I really didn't have that kind of food very often back home, but it was accessible almost 24/7, which was comforting. But now? I am nowhere near a Thai restaurant, or an Indian buffet, or- and this is the painful one- a sushi bar. Thatcher just doesn't have any of those things. And it is slowly but surely killing me and depriving me of my happiness.

Okay, fine, I'm just kidding. But I am suffering.

For example, tonight I had a hankering for pad Thai, so I decided to get crafty with it and make some myself. Meaning I made rice noodles and topped them with a meager spoonful of peanut butter, soy sauce, minced garlic, and lime juice. A far cry from genuine, perfect pad Thai, but I tried, okay? It's the thought that counts.... Right? I'm pathetic.

At least I haven't attempted to make sushi with the canned tuna and brown rice I have. Yet.

A girl needs her sushi fix every now and then.

~Haeley

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38