02 03 The Rhineheart Roost: More. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

More.

34
This summer so far has been crazy. I finally got a job and didn't tell you guys about it, because I'm a jerk. But I will tell you about it now: I got a job as a respite worker! What that is for those of you who don't know is watching people (in this case children) who have developmental disabilities. Basically, I babysit all day, which is probably one of the best things that has happened to me this summer. Even though I had to give up my nanny job (which I loved), I have more hours here. Finally having something to do all day instead if waste time on Pinterest is a welcome change. This job is exactly cut out for me, because I'm with kids all day and I don't have to be involved with fast food! Win win. Having a job like this isn't all sunshine and roses, however. Just because I work with kids does not mean I have it easy. I've had some really hard days. Days that seemed like they would never end. Days where I was cried on, drooled on, hit in the head, and yelled at. Sometimes I wake up and just want to go back to sleep because I can't bear the idea of working right then. But you know what?

The more time I spend with these kids, the more lessons I learn.

The more times I have to help a child wash up after making a huge mess with their lunch,

the more I have to swallow my pride and be just a little more patient,

the more times I have to pull a little kid off the couch after repeatedly telling them to get-off-how-many-times-have-I-told-you-this;

the messier my hair gets from two little boys who just LOVE to ruffle it up,

the more times I have to calm a tantrum, or discipline for unruly behavior,

The more times I wake up earlier than I'd like to get to work on time,

The more I fall into bed, completely exhausted from running around with kids all day,

The more I fall in love with these crazy, hyper, wonderful kids,

The more I realize that this is what I want to do with my life. Yes, I've spent more time with children than with people my own age, and yes, I haven't had a real conversation with anyone in a long time. But I think this whole experience had gotten me just a little more ready to be a mom someday. I'm starting to appreciate my mother so much more from this. Yes, I realize that this job is quite a bit different from being an actual mom (I'm not planning on having 13 kids at once, after all), but there are still lots of lessons I've learned through this. This is what I love to do. I love being with kids! I love playing with them. I love dealing with messy hair, because it was funny to watch those boys have so much fun with it (and let's face it- I don't have a lot of hair to mess up in the first place!). It may be hectic, but it's my job, and I love it. And I know that even though I'm gonna have hard days as a mom, I can make it through!

Life is awesome.

~Haeley
35 36 37 38