02 03 The Rhineheart Roost: A Christmas story- a heartwarming day. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A Christmas story- a heartwarming day.

34
Greetings and Merry Christmas! I hope this finds you well. I'm typing this from my brand-spanking new laptop- yes. My OWN laptop. I'm thrilled! And yes, I screamed. A lot.
But that's beside the point. I have a Christmas story to tell you all!
You see, every year my old elementary school has a wonderful Christmas party- complete with a puppet show and a hayride! It's always been one of my favorite days, and even as I've gotten older, I've enjoyed it every bit as much. I've got a weak spot for that school, I guess.

Anyway, during the puppet show, there's this one number that gets me every. Single. Time. It's Blue Christmas, as made popular by Elvis Presley. Each year they pull a lucky preschooler out of the audience and they sit on the floor while a lion marionette slinks out and serenades them. He winks at them, he snuggles up to them, and he sits on their lap.
It's pure Christmas magic.

Each year, I have perked right up whenever it's performed, hoping to be the lucky child picked to be sat on by the majestic lion, and each year, someone else has been chosen to experience my dream. 

You don't understand, guys. I've ALWAYS wanted to be sat on by that lion. Since I was a wee lass, I've squirmed and raised my hand, clamoring for their attention, and time after time, some other child was given the gift of serenade by cat.
So this year, I casually brought up that fact in passing conversation, thinking nothing of it.

Little did I know, my sweet, sweet mother had plans. 
The night before the puppet show, she called my old teacher and asked if it would be at all possible to let me be the one to be sat on by the lion, and out of the goodness of her heart, she said yes!! 

The next day, we went to the school, where I promptly made myself at home chatting with my good friend Annie. We talked about the lion and she told of how when she got picked to sit up there, the lion scared her and she cried. I laughingly stated that if I got picked this year, I would cry too! 

The puppet show began, and I enjoyed it every bit as much. My childhood memories were dancing right in front of me! What joy! What wonder! What.... The heck? One of the puppeteers walked up to me and asked me to follow her. I had a sneaking suspicion of what might be about to happen, but I disregarded it. I at once thought I had somehow gotten in trouble, and was being sent out of the room to be dealt with accordingly. She led me to the front of the room and had me sit down Indian-style on the floor. 

Then it clicked. 
I started breathing faster, my pulse jumped, and as the song began and the lion crept out, I started laughing uncontrollably.
This was really happening, wasn't it? I had been picked out of the crowd of tons of preschoolers and kindergartners, and I WAS BEING SERENADED BY A LION. IS THIS REAL LIFE
 Yes, it was. 
I, being the goofy performer I am, played right along with the lion, batting my eyes at him and flirting for all I was worth. He received it well, because he stuck around and continued.
And then.... He 
SNUGGLED
UP
NEXT
TO
ME.

He was every bit as soft and fuzzy as I imagined, and more so. I think I'm in love. 
I'm so so so so soooooooo grateful my mom did that for me! It's something I'll remember for years to come. :^)

~Haeley

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38