02 03 The Rhineheart Roost: Elevate 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Elevate

34
Today in Young Women's, we had a lesson on language, and keeping it appropriate and uplifting for those around us. I gotta say, this was one of those lessons that really hit me as something I REALLY need to work on. As the lesson went on, I did some thinking, and realized as far as being positive and uplifting go, I have quite a ways to go.
That fact right there makes me so sad.
As I'm sure you've deduced by now, I tend to be rather sarcastic, and up until recently, I was just fine being identified as "the sarcastic one". Now, I do enjoy a little sarcasm here and there, but I've decided that that is NOT how I want to be defined. I do not want people to think of me as the sarcastic one, or the pessimistic one, or the perpetual wet blanket. I want to make others happy, and sarcasm isn't the answer. Humor and sarcasm are two different things, and I would rather have the former trait. Being a humorous person is a good way to break the ice and make friends, and while sarcasm has a time and a place, it definitely does not need to be ALL THE TIME.
Something that has majorly impeded my attempts at losing my sarcasm has been texting. Often I'll say something that I genuinely mean, and I don't intend to sound abrasive or sarcastic in any way, but it is interpreted as such, and I believe it is simply because that's how I naturally come across to my dearest friends. I hate that! I wish I didn't give myself that reputation in 8th and 9th grade, because it has screwed my up.
In the lesson, we read L. Tom Perry's talk, "Thy Speech Reveals Thee", and the heading underneath the title reads, "The words you speak can classify and categorize you." the heading alone struck me, as I have classified myself as being caustic and negative. I'm going to try to change that, in addition to being more uplifting and speak only positively about others. I am tired of the gossip game, and the only way to fix this mistake is me. It's going to be one tough road, and even though I may slip sometimes, I hope to make this a lasting thing. I'm going to ask you guys for help on this thing, because I need positive reinforcement. So if you notice me being negative or offensive, don't call me out on it flat, but give me a gentle nudge or stop the cycle by changing the subject. I will try to do the same.

-DQ#1

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38